Add my name and
address to the mailing
list for forthcoming productions
The society raise funds throughout the year to enable charitable giving and provide the company with financial
Click here to find out how you can help, IT WON'T COST YOU A PENNY!
Learn more about
Central Operatic Society
Internet Explorer users may need to click 'Allow Blocked Content' to view active sections of this site
Click the image above for more Jekyll & Hyde photographs
About the company
In 1932, some members of Normanton Road Congregational Church in Derby decided to stage an opera called "Cupid and The Ogre".
The first performance took place on 11th January 1933, and such was its success that an Operatic Section of the Church was officially formed to present an opera annually and in so doing raise funds for the Church. These shows took place until the outbreak of World War II.
1953 saw the resumption of the Society and in 1954 "Highwayman Love" was staged. Shows became so successful that it was realised larger premises must be sought, and in 1973 the venue for shows became Derby Guildhall
In 1980, following the amalgamation of three churches, it was decided to change the name of the Society to The Central Operatic Society.
Shows continued to be a success and a
further move of venue for the main
annual production was made in 1997
to Landau Forte College.
Following the very successful 2013
production restrictions imposed by
Landau Forte necessitated another
change of venue, this being to
The Robert Ludlam Theatre.
In 2015, seeking a regeneration of sorts, it
was decided our name was to be changed to
Central Musical Theatre Company, to reflect
the direction the company found itself going.
Over the years, the Company has raised
many hundreds of pounds for the Church
to use for its own charitable purposes,
and although membership is not
restricted to church members, we are
happy to state that the entire company
enter into many functions with the
church throughout the year.
READ ALL ABOUT IT!